CANADIAN BRASS: MAGIC HORN CD
- usually ships in 1 business day
MAGIC HORN FROM CANADIAN BRASS
EARNS JUNO NOMINATION
Toronto, Canada: February 15, 2006
This CD released in 2004 displays the breadth of musical interests of CANADIAN BRASS, including a major contribution to the brass quintet repertoire by distinguished composer and conductor Bramwell Tovey, an investigation of the haunting music of Piazzolla realized by Josef Burgstaller, classic CANADIAN BRASS through the work of Frederic Mills and of course, the magic of the HORN.
1. With You I'm Born again (Shire-Connors)
2. Cuatro Tangos [Libertango, Contrabajeando, Oblivion, Fracanapa] (Astor Piazzolla)
3. Caprice No.24 (Noccolo Paganini)
4. Santa Barbara Sonata [Cakewalk on a Tightrope, Preacher on the Pier, Magic Horn Tango, Sate Street Stomp] (Bramwell Tovey) World Premiere Recording
5. Concerto in G major BVW973 (Vivaldi-Bach)
6. Toccata (Girolamo Frescobaldi)
8. Rondo from Horn Quintet K407 (Mozart)
9. Suite from Water Music [Allegro Vivace, Air, Hornpipe, Allegro Maestoso] (Handel)
10. Echoes of Harlem (Duke Ellington-Luthor Henderson)
Bonus Track & Enhanced CD: Quintet by Michael Kamen
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
In recent years the Canadian Brass has been widely celebrated for its truly innovative repertoire. Through a steady, well-defined strategy of commissioning music over a period of 35 years, the ensemble has developed one of the most significant bodies of repertoire for any instrument or group of instruments.
The Canadian Brass opened up the world of North American jazz to brass instruments through collaboration with Luther Henderson, developed a body of Beatles and Bernstein music with Christopher Dedrick and created a classical masterpiece collection through the work of Frederic Mills. What was for the Canadian Brass an urgent necessity has become a blessing for a world of succeeding brass ensembles, with many creating their own career paths based on Canadian Brass repertoire.
This CD displays the breadth of musical interests of Canadian Brass, including a major contribution to the brass quintet repertoire by distinguished composer and conductor Bramwell Tovey, an investigation of the haunting music of Piazzolla realized by a youthful Josef Burgstaller, classic Canadian Brass through the work of the late Frederic Mills - all of course, culminating with the magic of the horn.
Unique and wonderfully played, one of the more "original" concept albums the Brass ever created.